Friday, July 17, 2009

Rule number 1: Don't be weird



I was talking to my friend this morning about her hospital experience after giving birth and she left me a voicemail describing her student nurse. The first thing I thought was,"oh no, what did she do?!" Immediately my mind goes to making excuses for her. "Well, maybe her instructor made her, maybe it was on her must do list, maybe you mistook her intentions...." Why? Because this nurse undoubtedly could have been me!
My number one fear, other than the fear of getting shot or going to jail when it's not my fault, is not getting a hint and being that super annoying person. I know you are thinking,"there are much more important things to be worried about" but I don't worry so much about the workload of school or the exams or passing, I worry about clinicals and the responsibility of taking care of someone in the hospital who doesn't need to worry that their student nurse is going to be annoying, awkward, or just plain weird! I may not be weird but I most certainly find myself in some awkward situations or conversations where I just want to make a beeline for the door.
So, I welcome the stories of the students who won't leave your room, or who offer unsolicited advice, or sound like walking computers because it is a heads up for me to not be those things.
Remember the number one rule: DON'T BE WEIRD!

2 comments:

  1. what about the fear of going all Matt Broderick and running someone over with your car?

    andrea, you may FEEL awkward sometimes, but i've never actually seen you awkward in a situation.

    btw, i'll be over to have my pulse reading.

    ReplyDelete